View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:12 PM   #15
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroganeshinobi View Post
So what's the difference if their factory is in a third world country vs being in the US? The difference is obviously cost of paying the workers.
Wages have always been lower in some other countries. But this is not the only thing that is considered. But there is also property costs, machinery costs, materials costs, employee benefits costs and taxes. Lots of reasons why companies relocate part or all of their business oversees, and why companies source out manufacturing abroad rather than in the US.

Quote:
While the conservatism has become so perverse to what it originally stood for, their agenda to "keep their money" has hidden effect they don't like to share. The reality is the middle class is paying more of the burden due to their lack of paying a fair share to the point it is nonexistent, although I wish this link has the linked the census data.

Too bad, you all have no patience to learn why our country is dying.
I always love the "fair share" argument as it relies on someone's definition of what "fair" is. If the "rich" (another objective term) were paying 99% of their income, and the middle class was paying 0%, some would still argue that this is not their "fair share". Another term I like is "middle class". Depending on who's data you are quoting, it can mean different groups of people. The term can be defined in many different ways depending on the message that you want your data to tell.

That said, when you look at what an average household with income in excess of $1 million will be paying in taxes for 2011(total taxes), it is estimated to be about 29%, where someone with a household income of $45K will be paying around 12%. Make between $20 and $30k and you'll pay around 6%.

So back to the term "fair". I looked up the word on Dictionary.com and there were 12 definitions. Probably the ones people think about when using the word as an adjective in this way are:
  • Having or exhibiting a disposition that is free of favoritism or bias; impartial: a fair mediator. Just to all parties; equitable
  • Consistent with rules, logic, or ethics

So what is a "fair share" of your income, or of your wealth?
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote