View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #3
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Well I was bored this morning, so I did some searching on the temperature degradation of Nylon, which most of the mesh gear is made of.

Found this research paper: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a048030.pdf

After reading it I'll disagree with @Motofool.

They test nylon parachute material and had significant reduction in strength and elasticity after 100 days of storage at 80 degrees Celsius (176 F). If I read it right they had a 36% decrease in breaking strength on a 120 day sample. Now I think that temperature is higher than what you will see inside your Givi, but I don't think 120-130 degrees F is out of the question. Another thing to keep in mind is that when the researchers are talking about 100 days of testing, that's 24 hrs a day. Your gear in the Givi will not have full heat all that time, just during the hottest part of the day. If your location is correct I don't think Massachusetts is as bad as Arizona. So while that paper does show that nylon suffers from thermal breakdown, I don't think storing your gear in your Givi will be as bad as the tests they conducted.

However I think the research paper makes the point the Nylon suffers from thermal breakdown, so if you want your gear to last as long as possible keeping it out of the heat is a good idea. I would suggest if you can bring your gear into your air conditioned office that it would prolong the life of some expensive stuff. If you are just running into the store for some shopping I wouldn't worry about throwing your gear in the Givi for a little while.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote