View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #13
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
@Motofool, the beauty of certificate rides is they are primarily on your schedule.

Some people can start at midnight and be done between 4 and 6pm in order to be home in time for dinner. I can't ride before 5am without having to sleep a few hours later, so I ride between 5am and 11pm usually. Some people can't ride that much in one shot so take it in stages and use up the full 24 hours to do their ride. In start times, it really is you and your body that determines what is best. I think my very very first ride started around 7am because that made sense at the time. Oh boy did I get in late! LOL You have 24 hours, there are no rewards for going less, so use whatever time you need.

I have zero experience with having or being a passenger on these rides, but a nice lady named Lynda Lahman wrote a book on it: https://www.amazon.com/Two-Up-Naviga...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

I've done a similar ride to your idea. I started at noon, rode until 1am, stayed at a motel until 5am, then finished the ride by 11am. Saved me from riding in the coldest part of the night and kept me warm-ish throughout the ride. It's a perfectly viable plan (provided of course you know how and where to set up a tent to be ok overnight - I've always wondered about that).

Let's say your route takes you through three cities with rush hour issues. If they are spaced right, you might come up with an idea like this (desert rat with no city experience so forgive goofy example). You could figure out how long it would take from Start to City 1 and figure out how to get through the city before the traffic starts up in the morning, then adjust your start time to ensure a proper arrival time. Say City 2 has a lunch rush issue that you would arrive in the middle of, you could plot a route that would take you around that city to avoid the worst of it (getting a receipt on the detour to show your route). Then city 3 has a major traffic issue all day that you just cannot avoid. You can decided to roll through it and deal, stop for a long dinner, or catch a few z's. Then once you are clear of the slow down, finish the ride with smooth sailing ahead of you.

Resting/sleeping times are again what your body needs. In this case though, the ride is determined by how long you are stopped. For me, if I feel that I am yawning too much, not entirely focused, or feeling my arms and legs really start to tense up, then 10 minute nap on the side of the road is worth the lost speed average to keep me safe. The minimum overall average needed for the full 24 hours is 41.6 (I usually say 42.5 since that gives you a safe 20 mile buffer in case the odometer or map mileage is off). I aim for maintaining around 62-64 overall average for the first half of my ride which gives me around 750 miles in 12 hours. That leaves me 250 miles to go in 12 hours, and since I know I slow down during the second half of my ride, this creates a nice bubble of time to work in. If I am feeling great, I can complete the 250 miles in 4 hours and viola, done! If I am starting to get tired, I can afford to pull over and get a snack, walk around, or nap and still make it home. If I am really exhausted, I can pull over and sleep for a half an hour with time still to make it.

On this ride, I made the 1000 miles in 17:50. Since my brain thought I was done, the adrenaline and excitement wore off and fatigue set in. That's why it took me 3 hours to do the last 110 miles. I kept stopping to rest.

Sleeping during a ride is perfectly doable as long as you keep the time spent under control. The biggest time sink is gas stops. If you are maintaining a lower speed average, your time at the station is reduced which limits your time to fuel, walk, visit the bathroom, or get whatever from inside. With my Ninja, I can only go 120-160 miles before I have to fuel up. Sometimes less if the route needs a receipt or if the following stop is too far to reach. I tend to gas up between 10-12 times on a ride. From pull in to pull out, I have gotten my fuel time around 5 minutes (1 minute in, 3 to fill up, 1 minute out) which eats about an hour of my time. Two of those stops usually get a biobreak, so there's another 10-20 minutes lost. If I ever have to go in to get the receipt, and oh lord there is a line with one cashier!, kiss another 5-10 minutes good bye (especially behind the person shopping for the entire soccer team and paying with cash... for each individual kid... Ugh)

Maybe @Alex can chime in since he's done multi day rallies so might have ideas of how to best balance riding and resting when on the clock.

I like your idea of riding half day, sleeping for a few hours, then riding the rest of the day. With 20 full hours of riding, you would need to maintain an overall average of 50mph. So if you find roads that are faster than that, like 55-70, that should still leave you time to make the ride enjoyable.

I hope that helps, and is somewhat more informative that just rambling.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.