View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2020, 06:42 PM   #4
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

What sucks about all of that is that the original designer likely did call for the sealing operation on the anodizing. Once a Chinese machine shop gets their dirty communist hands on a design, they will sell it to other distributors and make it the cheapest way they can. I highly suspect the cap on the left in your picture was not sold by the original designer - it was sold by a business who picked it out of the Chinese lineup to resell.

Just be sure to differentiate between the original designers and the copycats who cheap out where they can. It's real easy for anyone in the US to buy total crap from China and mark it way up.

What it really comes down to is just Know Your Seller. Quality sellers control tolerances and specifications. And if you're a designer, you better control your manufacturer, or your design is going to end up a cheap knockoff on Amazon for 1/4 the price. What you see here is a designer who lost control of their product in China, had their hard design work copied and now it's sold with low quality anodizing for $12 to sellers all over the US who mark it up 400%.