View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2024, 10:13 PM   #1
BoKu
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): EX250F (2x)

88-07 EX250F side stand anchors tear out?

Is it just me, or is it endemic to the 88-07 EX250F that the side stand anchors tear out of the stamped portion of the frame?

I just finished breaking down three EX250s (two from a junkyard, one from Craigslist, long story) to make one good one, and all three frames had trauma to the side stand anchors. One of them, the one I got all the good parts from, had one of the anchor nuts entirely torn out of the frame, with nothing left but a jagged hole.

My solution was to cut a chunk of 1/8" steel to fit between the side stand pivot bracket and the frame, and MIG weld it to the frame. I normally don't weld on motorcycle frames, but I figure that it is highly unlikely that the stamped steel portion is heat treated. And if it does go bad, I'll just switch to one of the other frames.

Here's a sketch of the reinforcing plate I welded onto the side of the frame. Apologies for the inch-based dimensions; that's just what I usually work with. For reference, the center-to-center distance of the two holes is a nominal 36mm, but the side stand bracket that goes there has one of the two holes slotted out by about 2mm to accommodate variations in the frame welding.

Last futzed with by BoKu; February 11th, 2024 at 12:44 PM.
BoKu is offline   Reply With Quote