View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameZ View Post
I dunno, looks maybe.
Nobody but you will notice the difference in width. 110 to 120 will not look different to an observer, and a 140 or even 150 in back still looks like a skinny tire and in no way makes the back of the bike look like a literbike with a 190 or a cruiser with a 250 or even wider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameZ View Post
What do you think about 110/140 combo with the Sport Demons? I can't seem to wrap my head around a wider rear tire affecting the handling negatively.
Motorcycle tires aren't like car tires. A wider car tire puts a wider footprint on the ground, no question about it. A motorcycle tire is rounded, and the actual footprint on the ground is a very small oval that changes as the bike leans over left and right. Putting a wider tire on the same size rim can actually cause the profile to put a smaller footprint on the ground at certain lean angles, and a larger footprint at other times. The bike's geometry & suspension was designed for 110/130, and playing with that will cause changes to the handling of the bike. Much more often than not, negative changes. Only way to confirm it is to play around with different size tires and realize how they change the feel, and/or take them out to the track and run them at their limits to see how the changes affect lap times. Richard (racebikerentals) has run some very wide tires on the back of his trackbike with reasonably good results, but as Kkim said, I believe it is because the tires he put on were incredibly sticky and competent tires, that would have behaved even better if they were available in the correct sizes. In other words it was the compound that caused the greater performance, while the increased size didn't hurt as much as it would otherwise.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote