View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #28
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Alex and wyckedfish's posts are spot on, and raise all the points you need to considder when searching for tires to suit your machine, style of riding, and riding surfaces. You're going to want something different from a commuter than you are for a sport ride than for a track bike, and it's more than just simple rubber compound.

I pulled a set of GT501s at 4000 miles. They still have at least that much more left on them, to be sure. They are good tires, and have EXCELLENT wet weather traction, but almost impossible to get replacements for on this side of the pond. Good choice for this bike, I just wanted something different that suited my needs as an in town/out of town sometimes commuter sport ride for my bike.

I just put a set of race take off BT090s 110/70 and 140/70, and the whole character of the turn changed for me for the better, partly due to the profile of the tire and partly due to the compound. As kkim points out, it takes just a tiny bit more to get it to lay over into a turn or to flip flop on the twisties over the 130 series rear, but 100% more planted IN the turn than the 501s that I took off. Haven't tried wet weather, yet, though, but they are more responsive than the 501s in the dry.

Oh, and yes, everyone else is right in that you can feel that the bike needs just a little more ooommmpffff due to the greater mass/size of the rear tire, but not in a bad or unmanageable way (to me). It does not handle heavy or anything, hard to put my finger on it, just 'different'.

I've ridden Sport Demons on a buddy's 250, and they're good tires with really good road feel and performance. If I was doing more commuting than I am, this would be my tire of choice, and will probably be putting a set on after my BT090s and GT501s both wear out.

I've ridden the IRCs that are coming on late model bikes, too. I believe the term I used at the time was "Greased hard rubber dog s#$t on a wet slip-n-slide".

I feel that I traded just a touch of 'flickability' for a load of 'stability' where I want it most, in the turn. Never mind the perfect deal of $105 delivered! I got butt reamed on mounting/balancing, though, with most places not even wanting to work on something they didn't sell. Finally got an independant sport bike shop that works for $25/rim.