View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #122
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
The only comment I have is when putting the rear wheel back on, I could not for the life of me get the rear caliper to line up properly while juggling the tire and axle all at the same time. I must have worked on this for a good half hour before I found a solution. I couldn't believe how easy it was to assemble the rear wheel once I tried it. Instead of inserting the axle from the left side of the bike, insert it from the right side and use the axle to keep the brake caliper in place as you line up the rest of the wheel and axle properly.
Over the weekend, I changed my rear/front tires to the BT-016s (150/60/17) and (110/70/17) using this DIY. The one difference is I found a way to install the rear axle from the LEFT side, just as it comes from the factory. The secret is to place a 4"X4"X22" (why 22"? Because I had 2 of those already cut.) under the tire. I then used my harbor freight tire tool as a lever under the tire/wheel assembly to raise the tire up, while sliding the axle in from the LEFT side!

Here's the tire tool I used:

One other note, my chain guard touched the new tire, so I placed a 3/16" thick washer (actually a cantilevered brake washer off one of my grand children's bike) between the chain guard and it's mounting hole. That resulted in the chain guard clearing the tire by about 1/2".
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote