View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #16
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
I have video of my wife's pregen dying as soon as it's put in gear with the stand down.
Then there's either something wrong with the bike, or its wiring doesn't match the PreGen diagram. It should die as soon as you release the clutch and try to ride (since the neutral and stand switches are both already "unsafe" and you're changing the clutch switch to "unsafe"), not as soon as it's put into gear.

The clutch switch is dual-throw. The black/yellow wire (yellow/green in the main harness) connects to the junction box. When the lever is released, it bridges to the black/red (green) wire going to the neutral switch. When the lever is pulled, it bridges to the black (black/yellow) wire running directly to ground inside the left control. Any time the lever is pulled, it should ground the safety switch circuit, allowing both the starter circuit and the igniter to work.

On the NewGen, the switch is wired up as single-throw (the neutral switch circuit no longer runs through the clutch switch). When the lever is pulled, the bridged connection goes down the green/white wire to the sidestand switch. For that circuit to ground, the lever has to be pulled plus the stand has to be up.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote