View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2016, 07:21 AM   #19
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
It's very possible that's not the correct gas cap, and it's not sealing. That would let vapor escape and water in. We bought a similar one off of ebay, and I'm pretty sure it fit better than that.

There should be a small filter inside the fuel line right where it connects to the carb. It's not great, but it's something.

I would check the battery voltage. Just because it's a new battery doesn't mean it's fully charged. Often they are not.

Before you pull the carbs, I would drain the tank, check the condition inside, and refill with fresh gas.
The battery came with an even 13.0v. Believe me, that was the first thing I checked (with a dmm). I even put my battery tender on it and it went straight to float charge. Also noted that the date of manufacture was 3 months before I received it.
The filter is that "elbow" piece that the fuel line connects to at the carb, correct? If I'm not mistaken there is also a screen in the petcock. I guess that'll have to do for now, but I might put the inline back on once i solve the real problem.
Yeah this is absolutely an aftermarket gas cap. It has no lock, it's just a twist off. Did you look at the trash in the can that came out of draining one of the carbs? I did a seafoam treatment where I ran it through vacuum to the carbs, I wonder if that loosened up something that got stuck in a jet? Regardless, that looked like enough trash from the bowl to warrant removal and cleaning of the carbs. I'm a pretty mechanically inclined guy, I feel confident that I can handle it in a few hours. I've been wanting to do the airbox mod as well so I don't have to worry about that in the future... plus I wanted to at least put eyes on the jets in the carb right now. I'm not sure if it was ever rejetted after the air filter/exhaust upgrade so that wouldnt hurt.
I think I will remove that gas lid and try to modify it enough to where it will seat properly. I read on here somewhere about a sealant that will not disolve in gasoline... I can't remember what it was though. I'll keep you all up to speed. Thanks for the continued support guys.

Last futzed with by sickopsycho; October 7th, 2016 at 07:25 AM. Reason: derp.
sickopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote