View Single Post
Old September 16th, 2021, 08:37 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Cold Blooded Ninja ?

every sense I got this bike I have read in several places that the Ninja takes a long time to warm up... the gal I bought this bike from said it is really cold blooded and takes 15 to 20 minutes to warm up ! and I thought yah sure !
.... but this morning I started the bike and it was back to it's old trick of running on one cylinder and Yes it was very Nippy early this morning here!...
so I left the choke on and let it warm up a bit at the 3,000 rpm that the choke has always made it speed up to, which I don't like at all.... (is that normal ?)
anyway after about 3 or 4 minutes I turned it off and let it set , my intension was to warm it up and put the sta-ble stuff in the gas tank and then take it for a ride.... I put about 1/4 the bottle in there and fired it up again and by then it was warmer by quite a bit, and it ran on both cylinders with no problems
later about 3 hrs later I fired it up again and it ran perfect....
.... so is it just my bike that is messed up with the chokes some how or are they all really cold blooded machines ? I'm thinking that the enrichers may not be actuating correctly so I may have to take the carbs off this winter when there is snow on the ground and nothing to do !
I am sure both of the dookickies in the choke slide lever thing are actuating and they look like they are both moving the same amount ( the enrichers)
but that doesn't mean their passage ways are good and clear, because when I cleaned the carbs I did not take the choke's apart ( yes I've already Kicked myself for that !...but I wanted to ride it !!!!) and I found the problem the main jet was completely plugged ! so I took a gamble and just threw them back together and fired it up....
it's looking more and more like I need to pull the carbs off that thing and give it a good going over !
but let me ask You is your Ninja cold blooded ? does it take a long time to warm up ? are they all like that, or perhaps someone took the thermostat out of this thing ! which you should never do !
Bob..........