View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2021, 01:38 AM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Question about riding style...

I have a question about which riding style is best , and for whom it is for.
On street riding in the past I mainly rode upright or leaned back against my sleeping bag and simply leaned the bike into the corners and stayed upright in so doing.... you just leaned with the bike.
with the New to me Crotch rocket style it's more like lean your weight to the inside of the corner as much as you can...trying to keep the bike as vertical as you can while still leaning into the corner hard....
personally I've never seen a crotch rocket rider ride like the latter on the street... ( like what's the point , right) but I have attempted to do the weight shift and lean into corners on the Ninja and i find it very unnerving....
and I have no doubt with me doing it, I am faster if I just lean the bike
but I'm wondering if you folks ride in a certain style
lets call it style A and style B....
regardless of the reason riding in town or on the freeway, lower speeds are something else entirely like turning real sharp into a 90 degree turn you dare not keep your body vertical like I first described it's more like counter weight shift at lower speeds, like U turns and the like you keep YOU in balance and maneuver the bike beneath you. if you loose your balance then your in a world of hurt.
I think for slower speeds everyone on the planet rides like that... even on bicycles... when I took my motorcycles driving test many decades ago in California they had me do a figure 8 at low speed 1st gear just above an idle
and that was unexpected to me but I pulled it off with no hitches at all... I got lucky I guess ! HAHAHAHA I asked the test giver what was the reason for the figure 8 ? and he said it shows that you know how to control the bike . and I laughed because I had never done a figure 8 on the pavement before ! ..... I said yes I can control the bike have no fear of that....
...i passed the test.... and I've never had to take that test again, and I have to wonder WHY NOT ? but anyway.....
My question is do you ride with your body locked to the balance of the bike
staying vertical in the seat ?
or do you ride hanging off the bike in the corners.... I mean for street riding guys you racing nuts always hang off the bike on the track.... but for street riding which do you draw the most pleasure from ?
.... I prefer style A it just feels safer to me .
Bob......