View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2021, 01:55 PM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post

One case I remember, coming around corner on Skyline at around 60mph. Halfway through, I hit some sand/dirt from runoff water. Because I had bike upright, front tyre slide sideways through the dirt. It did lean over another 5-10 degrees, but still well away from edge of tyre. If I had been in-line with bike it would've been leaned over much more and that extra 5-10 degrees would've taken me down for sure!
that would surely have been a wake up call ! I see your point !
I suppose a well rounded rider should have all the styles under his belt to ride
safely...
so you can use everything at your disposal....
One time on the freeway coming back to the ranch as a young man, I passed an 18 wheeler and I was doing at least 70mph on the 305 dream... I pulled back in the right lane infront of the slower diecel and just at that moment the rear tire went flat.... all at once.... the bike turned sideways and then swapped to the other side and was like there was nothing but ice in the back.... I used every ounce of skill I had just to keep the bike vertical and
I hurd the diecel hit his jake brakes so I knew he was slowing down... but they don't slow down fast ! .... I inched that slippery thing to the right side of the road and stopped and the diecel tooted his horn and accelerated on by
as if to say Nice save buddy ! .... I rode the bike home on the flat from about 8 miles away from home... that was an ordeal ! but I made it....
I didn't care about saving that tire anyway... any tire that soft and loose and floppy shouldn't be on a bike anyway ! LOL
.... funny thing was I never did hit either brake.... I just coasted to a stop
I knew if I hit the front brake the ass would pass the front !
that was an early Pirelli MT 53 a tire I loved, but the early tires had real thin side walls.... and were a hazard... the next Pirelli MT 53 I got had much thicker side walls .... ( i guess they saw the error of their ways LOL)
Bob........