View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2021, 07:08 AM   #7
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Caligirl ! That is my conclusion also but I am finding there really isn't a need to hang off at normal speeds.... the bike wants to corner so well that it will do it anyway... LOL.... if I start touching footpegs ever again I guess I will start moving my butt ! HAHAHAHAH
Bob......
As long as your body is going with the bike while you are cornering and not leaning away from it (we call it being crossed up) you should be fine at normal street speeds.

You are correct that the reason riders hang off is to be able to keep the bike more verticle and lean it less which gives you more traction. However, at more conservative speeds, simply allowing your body to go with the bike and remaining centred and relaxed is just fine. Sometimes just dropping your head and upper body into the turn (not worrying about your butt) helps a ton too.

If you do notice that you seem to be riding on the edge of traction or that you are scraping pegs then yes, you absolutely need to start hanging off and adjusting your body position to reduce overall lean angle.

Also, just to be clear, just hanging your butt off won't necessarily help you -unless you are moving your upper body over to the inside as well- you could be leaning the bike over just as far as if you weren't hanging your butt off.

How would you best describe proper body position and hang off style?

Misti is offline   Reply With Quote