View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #17
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMoto View Post
Hello everyone! I'm Mako! My first post here. I hope I dont step on any toes...

I am a new rider, Ninja 250r owner and I am glad to meet you all. I am a new member here, as I have heard this is the place to go for Ninjette lovers and intel on proper care for our bikes. With that said, I have an issue I need help with and I hope you all can help! Here is the background:

Approximately 4 years ago I bought a 2008 Ninja 250. I was in college and I was planning on riding it around campus and such and start my motorcycle ridibg life.

Well, it didnt work out as I had hoped.

I put gas in the bike on the way home from purchase and got it home. I rode it around parking lots learning, got my permit and planned for the MSF course. Well, due to school, work and laziness I never ended up riding it much. Maybe a total of 20 miles. It has sat for a couple years (same gas in it as the day i bought it..I know I am sorry. I was an idiot and did not store properly)

I have the time and ability to take responsibility for my beloved bike at this juncture so I put a new battery in, put the key in, and tried to start her up. To my suprise, she started right up. Just as fast as before (the bike was flawless when I purchased. Worked great and fired right up). Well, after about 45 seconds of tough running she stalled out. Now she cranks as normal but will not fire and start the engine.

I I removed the tank, drained it. Tried to drain the carb bowls but just got a light drip of old gas (clogged?). Put fresh gas in with some Seafoam and hooked her back up and still will not fire. My question is:

Is this because my carbs are so incredibly gummed up cause I was a complete moron and didnt store properly? Did I foul the spark plugs? Did water collect in that old gas and when i started it up it ruined my engine? I am not super mechanically inclined and was wondering if the carb removal and clean is easy enough to be done by a noob? I know they can be a pain to get out. My worry is that i wont be able to reassemble. When i took off the gas tank and such I had to color code my hoses so I knew which one went where as well as put screws and clips in plastic bags and label where they cane from. Please help!

I have Seafoam, Berrymans B-12 Chemtool and the tools i need (i believe). I also just ordered: KN-401 oil filter and Rotella T-5 15W-40...new spark plugs and some Berrymans ChemDip.

Any idea why my poor ninja will not start?

Thank you for your time everyone!

TL;DR : An idiot owner started uo his 250 with 4 year old gas in it because he wanted to ride again, and now the 250 will not start. Carb removal and clean?
This is the best method I've found to remove the carbs;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD5br8HCfn0

You said that a small amount of fuel came out when you drained your float bowls. Make sure your petcock is working. Disconnect the fuel line to the carbs, pull the vacuum hose from the carbs and suck on the vacuum hose. If fuel comes out your petcock is OK. If not it needs to be replaced or repaired.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote