View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2020, 06:19 AM   #119
thunderkat59
ninjette.org member

Name: Lem

Motorcycle(s): z400, scooters, more than I can remember since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Very disappointing specs compared to '90s version. It's a full 45-lbs heavier with similar power. Back then, there was gentlemen's agreement between manufacturers to limit power to 45bhp. However it was simple to remove limiter by clipping or grounding certain wires on ECU. Or in Honda's case, just plug in different smart-card.

Dave Moss has been giving everyone fits with his '94 CBR250RR. We suspect he's got 55-60bhp from his lap-times. Was hoping ZX-25R's dual-power rating would in that range, but NO, it's only 2bhp more than base model.

I can live with 50bhp, but that extra 45-lbs just kills all handling and braking performance. Imagine taking an R6 or CBR600RR and removing 60% of power, but keeping all the weight. It's gonna be a pig!!
Hey Danno, thank you very much for replying to my dup thread post... As you might have gathered, I absolutely flipped when I saw this, I mean like Speed Racer/Spridal and Chim Chim eyeballs popping out as the Mach5 heads off the cliff, style flip-out I cannot believe I missed this for a whole year! I need to get out more, but, i digress ...
I agree with you, the weight is a deal-killer. The 50hp--for me--is good, Im OK with that, but the weight was one thing that made me immediately gravitate to the Z4. I got pretty much the same feeling looking/sitting on the Z4 as I did with the RD400 in 1978. After getting off of a BMW, the Z400 was a revelation, I could never go back. Kawasaki makes great retro bikes, hope springs eternal for a retro ZXR250