Thread: Chain Slack
View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #1
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Chain Slack

I read some of the threads on how to check the chain, then went out and tried it. When up on the rear stand the chain moves around so much it touches the swing arm before stopping. The instructions on the printed label on the motorcycle say to check it while on the side stand. I tried that and it still moves around a lot. The movement I'm seeing is much more than the specified 0.8-1.2 inches.

I've attached a video showing what I'm seeing. The video was taken with the bike on its side stand. Am I doing something wrong, or is my chain really that loose? I've put about 600 miles on the bike since I bought it, and the dealer said it had a brand new chain and sprockets when I bought it. The mileage on the bike was a little under 15,000 when I bought it, and a little over 15,000 now.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Also, I've attached pictures below of what the adjusters look like from the back of the bike. The left adjuster appears to be damaged and the 2 nuts are the same size. I'm guessing the left adjuster is supposed to look like the right one (with the raised black piece and one nut larger than the other). Is this a safety hazard?

Left Adjuster.jpg

Right Adjuster.jpg

I counted the threads at the end of the adjustment bolts and they're the same, but I can't help but think the adjustment would be off with that plate being bent on the left adjuster.

On a side note, I also noticed the rear brake has a huge lip at the edge of the rotor where it is obvious the pad is not making contact. Is this normal?

jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote