View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2019, 06:50 PM   #12
BikeRider
ninjette.org newbie

Name: MC

Motorcycle(s): NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
When I bought my 2008, it had sat for couple years. Carbs gummed up and in my attempts to get it running, I hydro-locked engine due to petrol leaking past float-valves and filling engine.

Went to crank and it had slow spin, caught 1-2 puffs, and made scratching noise. Result was 4 broken teeth off ring gear. I managed to find all pieces which had stuck to stator coils. Welded teeth back onto starter gear and it'a been working fine since.

Seems worse damage in your situation with broken cases. Personally I would have no problems welding case back together. But you may have difficulty finding someone qualified to do work. And cost may be prohibitive compared to used set of cases.

Might as well rebuild it in process with new bearings, rings and seals.
Well update wanted to make sure that the bike first of would run with no major issues so I put the case back on, cleaned the carbs (what a pain in the A##) then bump started it. Carb still needs some tuning but rode it around with the choke on to make sure it got into the gears. Just when I went to put it away I couldn't get it into neutral but probably because I wasn't rocking it back and forth. But biggest problem still is the case, but I also could use some help figuring out the hosing as a bunch of hoses for gas tank overflow and carb vents etc seem to be missing so Ill ask here when I get back to working on it where some go. Also thanks in advance this bike is going to be super fun!
BikeRider is offline   Reply With Quote