View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
Hey Samer. No, I wasn't leaning. I tense up when making turns and instead of leaning, I sit straight up and I keep wanting to go forwards until the last minute. I am a small person...5'2" and once the bike starts to fall, I can't pick it back up. I tried to catch it using my feet on the ground and by pulling it back up, but it was too late. I had wanted to practice my turns today, but failed big time. I will be taking the MSF class soon and I know this will help me out alot. Thankfully, I was in full gear today so the only thing that got hurt was my knee. It's just bruised really bad, plus I pulled some muscles in my back from trying to keep the bike from falling. I was more concerned about my bike getting hurt than me! I was practicing in my neighborhood by the way...not on the busy streets! I def need practice with turning! Jeesh!!!
Okay Connie, I think I understand. I figured it would be difficult for you to use your feet to keep it up because you are petite.

I have one suggestion even before you take the MSF course. Practice on a bicycle. The MSF actually states that being able to ride and balance a bicycle is a prerequisite for the class. Ride your bicycle and really focus on what you are doing. If you don't have a bicycle, get one or borrow a friend's. What is critical is learning to balance it at very low speeds < 10 MPH, and if you can, try mentally noting the difference in bike behavior when you get above about 10 MPH, that is "counter-steer". When you get that fast, two things happen, it becomes much easier to balance the bike, actually it basically balances itself, and you push on the handlebar in the direction you want to turn. Push left to go left, push right to go right. For me, if you know that, then you know the foundations of riding a motorcycle. Good luck!
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote