View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #66
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickds7 View Post
I have great liability insurance on my bike.. no comprehensive. It was a major cost difference. I'm going to revise my policy for next time.. At least its $500-600 (if I buy new) in fairing damage and that's about it. I'm going to wait around and pick up some cheaper used fairings.. I have a few people looking out for fairings for me. Until then I'm riding nekkid.
My Ninja didn't look all that bad after my crash. A few scratches on the fairings and a broken peg were the most obvious problems. I didn't really think it was any big deal to repair it. Then the insurance estimator showed up and made a shopping list of parts that had to be replaced a mile long. Swing arm, rear hub, forks, tail piece, etc. Some items didn't show any obvious problems at all, but they were bent or distorted enough in the crash that they had to be replaced. The cost of replacement parts far exceeded the cost of the bike when he was done and the bike was declared a total loss.
I'd have the bike checked out by a mechanic who is familiar with these things before spending hundreds of dollars for replacement fairings. You could be throwing good money after bad if there's a major problem with the bike you're not aware of or that's not easily visable to an untrained eye.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote