Thread: Near Misses
View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

A few come to mind. Several near-miss deer experiences. Running right in front of the bike at speed, running right next to the bike at speed at night, etc.

On the highway one from a few years back still gives Annie and me the chills at times. We were 2-up, coming back home on a major highway here in the bay area. Choppy traffic, but crowded. We were splitting at times, staying within traffic occasionally as things smoothed out. A minivan crowded full of people comes up from behind, driving quickly and erratically. Not staying in lanes, not signaling in between lanes, etc. My spidey-senses are clanging away at full volume. He passes us on the right, and moves in front of us into the left-most lane. He passes another car or two by going around them on the right. He loses control, and when he's coming back into the left lane, he clips the right rear of a car that's already there. We're all going about 40 - 50 mph at this point, and I'm about 4 - 5 carlengths behind him. His impact with the other car causes the minivan to spin sideways, and not only block the left lane, but the middle lane as well. I was immediately swerving right as he hit, but as the minivan swung around, I had to swerve right much harder as the vehicle was coming right at us. Ann says she closed her eyes, completely expecting us to centerpunch the sideways van, but we were able to just make it around without hitting it, without hitting anything to our sides, and without anyone hitting us from behind (which is always the worry in quick pile-ups on the freeway).

I pulled over immediately to talk to the LEO's who would be along shortly. I let the CHP officer know I was a witness to the accident, and described what I saw. He asked if I felt that he should give the driver of the minivan a ticket. I let him know sure, but it would be helpful if he could drag him around back and beat the crap out of him prior to just a silly traffic ticket. He smiled. There were minor injuries to his passengers (a whole family on board ), but no more serious injuries to them or anyone else. And especially thankful there were none to us.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote