View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #17
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
What is probably raising your insurance rates is the fact that you have no driving history in the US.

I know when I went overseas as an expat I got a letter from my insurance company to the new insurance company stating how long I had been insured and that I had no claims filed. It reduced my insurance rates in the new country. When I came back here to the states after 6 years overseas I needed a similar letter for my insurance company.

You may want to check with the insurance companies and see if they would give you a good driver discount for a similar letter.

And do check with several insurance companies, prices vary considerably. Just recently I got insurance for my 2 bikes. My current insurance company with whom I had homeowners and 6 vehicles insured (6 drivers in the family) wanted $26 per month for liability only on one Ninja 250 with me as the driver ($312 per year). I found another insurance company that was $96 per year for both bikes, liability only, with me and my 16 year old daughter as drivers.
Thanks for your information and advice! I have mentioned "no claim letters" from Norway, here in California, and got 3 different offers, all around 100 USD per month, or slightly above.
Since I'm in a hurry, I will probably accept one of the offers. Hopefully I can get a relatively cheaper insurance when buying a motorcycle. I really long for a bike in such a wonderful climate as I experience in California. Hope to be able to buy one soon.
San Diego seems to have warmer winter months than the average summer in Norway..
Great to be in the US!
Norway is online now   Reply With Quote