View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2019, 06:13 AM   #3
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post
Take it to a shop of your choice and get an estimate for what you want.
Then you have a negotiating point.
Dealing with an insurance company can be tiring, but that is how they want it to be. Your job is to get the best deal and they want to find any excuses to not pay.

I have had several run-ins with insurance companies. Check with your state to find if they have anything like New Jersey’s “Commission on Banking and Insurance.” These guys will put the fear into an insurance company who is trying to go cheap. I had a flood totaled H2. With the help of the Commission I got an additional $8,000.00 dollars. Allstate fought tooth and nail for 3 months until I found the Commission. They rolled over in less then 4 hours once contacted by the Commission advocate who demanded a fair settlement (what I have been asking for all along). Allstate figured they had me over a barrel. How many folks can go out and buy a new car without the setttlement money? What they did not know was I had them over a barrel.

By the way I dumped Allstate and went with Geico for 2 cars, 1 Class A Motorhome, 3 motorcycles, 2 boats and the house. Allstate lost a lot more than I did.
Thanks so much for the advice and I’ll be sure to look it up! Yes I want the work done where I feel it’s going to be done best and right. My bike was a beautiful looking and riding bike until she hit it. So I want it back just like that. Could be taking it to the shop today if the ins company gives the go ahead. Her ins co is American Family but I too have recently switched my truck and bike over to Geico because Progressive was ripping me off! Go figure, pretty sure Allstate and Progressive are related. Only cost me $99/yr for my bike to be covered now. Thanks for the tips I’ll be sure to stand my ground.
People think because motorcycles are so cheap to buy that they’re so cheap to fix. That’s not always the case!