View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2019, 04:10 PM   #11
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I'd suggest looking into the legalities of totaling it out in your state. In some places, if you total it out and buy it back yourself, it keeps its regular title. Depending on those details and how much the payout is, you could come out ahead.

It's not what you want to hear, but collision insurance is a business. Whether or not they total it out comes down to a simple math problem comparing the value and the repair cost.

https://www.insure.com/car-insurance/car-totaling.html
Quote:
When you buy a car insurance policy, you sign a contract that states that you can't force your insurer to pay out more than your car is worth. On the other hand, most states require insurance companies to follow the "made whole" doctrine, meaning you should be restored to the same financial position you were in prior to the accident.

If your car is declared a total loss but you want to have it repaired anyway, you should be able to retain it. Can your insurer decide to total your car despite your protests?

In some cases, your insurer will work with you if you "elect to retain salvage" in accordance with their policy language and state law.

Your insurer still has to pay you the car's actual cash value, minus the deductible and minus what the company would have gotten for it at the salvage yard. If you want to keep the car, you should alert your claims adjuster and insurance company right away. You're then going to have to pay for the repairs yourself.
https://www.carinsurance.com/Article...hresholds.aspx has similar info.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Last futzed with by InvisiBill; March 30th, 2019 at 07:25 AM.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote