View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Largo 5.0
ninjette.org member

Name: Glenn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Engine Issues: Bike Dies when given throttle?

Just wanted to get some opinions on an issue I am facing on an '08 Ninja 250R. The bike only has 5300 miles on it and has been serviced regularly. I recently sold it to a friend of mine and today he starting having issues today. I had no problems the entire time I owned the bike, not even a hiccup. Here are the issues hes having:

The bike started to stumble when given gas and throttle response was poor upon riding this morning, however it was rideable. When arriving at his location (near by) he decided to choke it while he ran inside. The bike sat with full choke for about 5 minutes (I know, thats not good. I told him). After turning the choke off the bike would stumble and stall when given any gas. It got to the point that it wouldn't even crank.

We drained the bowls and let it set for a bit and finally got it to start. It idled fine and revved freely so I took it for a test ride. As soon as it was given any type of load (letting clutch out) it would try to stall out. I choked it to about 3000 RPM and got it rolling. Only made it about 50 feet before it started to bog under throttle. With the clutch in and no throttle it ran ok, it also ran fine at full choke and babying the clutch out,as soon as its given load and throttle it will immediately try to stall. Even if your are feeding it quite a bit of rpm when you try to slip the clutch out the revs just plummet. After limping it about 500 feet it sounded a bit choppy, but would idle without the choke. Without load (in neutral) it will rev, but it stumbles a bit and struggles to rev to high RPM. The revs do not climb as quickly as they should for the amount of throttle given either.

Sorry for the long read, just fishing for possible ideas?

My action plan for tomorrow is to pull the plugs (possible fouling due to excessive choke?) and then go from there.
Largo 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote