Old July 27th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #13
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Choneofakind is right about the chicken strips. I have drug my elbow and still left the track with chicken strips, about 1mm worth if I remember right. Do I remember chone?
Oh hell yes. Dragging elbow is awesome. Not that I would know personally. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrgoB View Post
I think I'm starting to take the turn too early, so I don't actually get the chance to lean far and that's part of the reason I'm so close to the oncoming lane
Yes, you likely are. Early turn-in is a very common problem for riders both new and veteran. Your biggest error in running into the other lane is probably you're not looking far enough through the turn. Lead with your head, not your eyes. A good rule of thumb that I like to use is the bike will follow my nose, so point your nose in the place you want to the bike to end up. That's why in a good, solid U-turn, even at slow speeds, you actually look backwards over your shoulder. Look to your exit.
And like others have said, Twist of the Wrist is a necessity. Total Control by Lee Parks is another good resource.
In slow, fast out, so keep it within your own comfort zone.

Edit: By the way, I rode my first mountain ride about 2 months after learning to ride. It was WAY too early for me. I dragged my stock muffler. lol! But hey, I didn't crash. I went into it blindly like a dolt. Just be sure to watch some youtube videos, read one of the books above, and prepare yourself before hitting serious mountain twisties.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote