View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2020, 12:47 PM   #36
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhowfast View Post
I knew a continuously expanding "cone" is ideal for more performance and if I could have it my way I'd like to go with a full system. There aren't too many options for first-gen ex's. Their either discontinued or used (which isn't a terrible option). I looked at your comparison and had a thought. As long as the exhaust port side of the system is the same diameter or close would any aftermarket full system work? I saw some of the ones you pictured were like that. The only difference I saw was the header length and the route they took towards the back of the bike. That maybe be a stretch but I am generally clueless when I comes to exhaust systems/ exhaust compatibility and I don't have access to a welder so I can't really piece something together. I guess the biggest question is:has the basic shape of the 250cc engine changed that much over time to where I couldn't make it work? I also like your idea of mocking it up from the muffler towards the front of the bike...
What you can do without welding is to make mid-pipe that fits both ends as best as possible and use hose-clamps to hold together. Once you have muffler in place, measure length and bend-angle needed to join to header. Get pre-bent tubing similar to this: Amazon - muffler tubing. Size ID so it fits snuggly over header outlet. Cut 2" slit lengthwise with hacksaw so you have 2x 180-degree sections. Slide over header-outlet and tighten with hose-clamp.

On muffler end, get step-up adapter with 2.0" OD to match inlet of muffler. Or 38mm OD to match inlet of cone-adapter. Scan Walker and Dynomax catalogue to find adapter that matches what you have. Amazon - muffler pipe adapters

Once you've gotten everything cut and fitted with no gaps and no straining. Take entire bike with all exhaust pieces fitted to welder and have them join it all together. No leaks or rattling. I usually charge $100 to TIG-weld 2x exhaust mid-pipe sections. If pieces are well-fitting, I just tack it together on bike before taking off. Then fully weld it off bike. Takes about 30-minutes for dual-exhaust system.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote