Old December 13th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #23
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Perfectly reasonable. That's to weed out the fresh out of school "engineers" who have only ever engineered things on paper.
Disagree. Let me explain.

Easiest way I've seen for companies to do that is to require 2-5 years experience, not by asking about their tools. That rules out almost all recent graduates in one fell swoop, including co-op students. Unless a student had a recurring position on-again, off-again at the same company and/or worked the same job for a consult firm at the same time as taking courses, (which there are 1 or 2 of in my class) they won't have 2+ years.

If someone asked me that, it would scream of a cheap employer not wanting to supply their own tools to me. I don't think that's a perfectly reasonable weed-out question at all, that's a cheap/unreasonable employee job scope question. I'd have the same response as DC to those questions. I don't mean to sound entitled but I don't think that guy had a reasonable expectation of job scope vs. pay vs. education requirements. I'd walk out. At-will employment is a two way street.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote