View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
So I Went Motorcycle Jacket Shopping Today...

Today I had the unfortunate experience of walking into Cycle Gear in Lomita, CA.

ONCE I TRIED ON THE DAINESE ZEN JACKET I KNEW I HAD TO GET IT!

Let me start with the beginning. Last night I learned that I had 30 days upon the completion of the MSF course that Cycle Gear would give me a 15% discount off my entire first purchase. So I told everyone I was heading down to the nearest Cycle Gear that day. The moment I walked in, I'm not gonna lie, I made a beeline toward the Dainese jackets. They had the Laguna Seca, Zen, a Gore Tex offering, and another one. I knew I wanted to try the LS and the Zen, so I just took off the 40 and 42 (US sizes) off the racks.

This was mistake #1

I clomped on over to the nearest mirrors and tried them on. Hey they fit well. Hey they fit..REALLY WELL. The Laguna didn't have a liner, and the Zen did, but there was just something about the color of the Zen that drew me to it, so i sauntered over to the display bike to test the fit while in riding position

This was mistake #2

The moment I got on the bike I knew I HAD to have the jacket. It was like it was made just for me. I looked at the price tag, and then did a double take. Did I read it correctly? Did it REALLY say $499?? Did a little quick calculation. $499 x 0.85 = $424.15. $75 saved is a lot of money, but I had just made $600 this week selling most of my earthly possessions! Oh well. The price we pay for quality right?

I wanted to ask for your guy's opinion on the fitment of a motorcycle jacket. What are some guidelines that you follow? Searching on other forums, it seems like they say to get a jacket that is tight as possible, because it will expand during break in. But when is tight too tight?

My second question to you is whether any of you guys work for Cycle Gear. I am contemplating taking up a part-time position because I want to spend my free time making some money to go toward my 250. I'm also curious about the employee discount that they offer, because I figure if I work there, I might as well buy most of my gear there as well.

Sorry for making your read my rant, but thanks for your time! I look forward to your replies