View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2018, 08:19 AM   #41
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
That looks like a King Canopy (or similar quality). Those will stand up to your average rainstorm + some, but even those can't stand up to 60mph wind gusts. It is still possible to watch your $500+ popup investment go flying accross the paddock.

Here has been my problem with the cheap ones;

1. Between the wind and rain, the top develops a "pocket" where water can pool.
2. More wind and rain just makes the pool bigger
3. Eventually the weight of the water + force of the wind, folds the canopy side rails and it all comes down.

The higher quality popups work much better because, the tops are well fitting and the support tubing is better at preventing pooling. Between the anchor points at the legs, and better overall structure, they fight the wind much better than the average popup.

TLDR;
When you are under a popup, look up! if you see an entire support skeleton throughout (not just on the sides) and a well fitting canvas on that skeleton, it's simply better.

my
Yeah, I'd to see at least 1" chromoly tubing on the small canopies and at least 1.5" on the larger ones. Way better strength-to-weight ratio than all aluminiums except for some exotic 7000-series. That might at least survive a tumble and flight downwind. Mine has the cross-braces to stiffen and keep cover angled to roll off water. I suspect it'll last 3-4 years max and I would've gotten my $59 worth of use out of it.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote