View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM   #1
chadh92
ninjette.org member

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250

Seafoam for carb cleaning?

I've had my 03 for 3 months now and haven't had an issue with it. It's always run fine since the day I picked it up. It's always idled around 3200rpm and I never thought it was a big deal, but the other day I thought that it did seem kind of fast for an idle speed. I looked it up and say 1750+-100rpm is what Kawasaki says is standard.

My bike's never run hot or anything, I figured I was just burning a little more gas than necessary. So today I took it out for a ride and when I got back I started messing with the idle controller. Anything under 2500rpm was just not good. It was bouncing a little bit, nothing crazy, but enough for me to know it's not a good idle speed. I set it back to around 3200rpm (where it's always been) and it started bouncing a little bit there too.

Anyways, I guess it's time to do some sort of cleaning of the carbs. I'm only home from school for two more weeks, before I head back to the mountains (where it's useless until April-ish), so I'm wondering if I should just try Seafoam for now, and then wait to clean the carbs in the Spring when i'll ride it more than one weekend out of every 5-6 weeks.

Does seafoam work well for cleaning the carbs on these bikes? I know it's better to do it the right way (by taking everything apart and doing it by hand), but if the bike is going to sit for most of the next 4 months, I'd rather do something to just get me by for now.

tl;dr - Anyone have any stories of using Seafoam to clean out the carbs? How well did it work?
chadh92 is offline   Reply With Quote