Old December 24th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
....A high idle is used to compensate for poor performance in other areas. From your description (of the 'hunting' idle speed), you may have idle mixture issues or be in need of a valve adjustment. Neither of which Seafoam will fix alone.
I fully agree with Blue and would add that a choke that doesn't release completely (lever, cable, plunger, guides), or a vacuum leak via a cracked vacuum hose may also be the cause of your chronic high idle.

Regarding Seafoam, I have been using it to keep my carbs clean for two years (11,200 miles), having had no need to do any surgery during this period of time.

I have been using it as directed by the manufacturer like once a month (four filled up tanks).

When my bike has to be out of work for more than a week, I simply completely drain any fuel in the bowls via the drain screws.

That is something simple that you may want to try, since you would eliminate that way any accumulated water and debris that may be causing your problems.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote