View Single Post
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #14
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I am going to assume that since you've had the bike for 3 months it has not been ridden too much (since you've been at school) and that the fuel has been in the tank for awhile. If that is the case, chances are your carbs need cleaning since your valves seem to be within the service interval for adjusting. There are more than a few videos and DIY's for carb cleaning that can help you.

Like I stated before, your current idle speed is to high and should be around 1300 +/- 100 rpm. (even up 1700 if necessary). The general consensus on your issue is going to be carb cleaning. I would even check your spark plugs and the air filter as well. If you run short on time before you head back to school and can't do it, I recommend a few things before it is long stored again. These things will help prepare you for that spring maintenance and upcoming riding season.

1. Get some fresh gas if you have not already. ( preferably some ethanol free 87 octane) Newell's on Old Concord Rd. just off W.T Harris is where I get mine.

2. Get some Star Tron Fuel Treatment in with the fresh fuel and make sure it gets into the carb bowls. This will help clean the carbs and stabilize the gas (can be bought at Walmart in the marine section). You will need to ride the bike around for a while. Then let it sit a while.

3. Check or clean your air filter.

If you have enough time;

4. Remove and clean the carbs, especially the pilot jets.

5. Change your oil and oil filter. This will keep corrosive and gumming deposits from building up over the winter months. You might as well begin the spring with new oil & filter. Synthetic oil is a plus.

6. Lubricate the chain and any exposed cables. This will prevent rust from forming that can damage the chain while the bike is in storage, especially if the bike is stored outside or exposed to moisture.

7. Check your radiator coolant to ensure it is at the proper levels and still meets the freezing and boiling points.

8. Keep your tires properly inflated

Since this is your first bike, there are a few particular things about the Ninja 250 you should know. First, the bike is very cold blooded, so it takes a little while to get warmed up sufficiently. Lately the Charlotte weather has gotten a little colder so you will find the Ninja's idle speed change with ambient temp changes as well as engine temp changes, so be prepared to adjust it accordingly. Idle adjustments should be made when the bike is completely warm and the choke is off. When using the choke the idle speed should rise to about 3k rpms. Once the engine is warm it should maintain your set idle speed with the choke off. The choke should not need to be on for more than a minute or two. It is ok to ride off with the choke on until the bike can maintain a good idle speed and not stall, once it does, take the choke off.

Since your bike has very little miles on it, your spark plugs should be ok, but since you had it idling so high I would check them anyway. I recently went from stock plugs to iridium plugs and the bikes runs really nice with the ethanol free gas, especially at higher rpms. Others may have different results. When or if you decide to change spark plugs, Iridium is something to consider.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.