View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #29
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
easy there killers...

The clutch is designed to be a physical disconnect between the engine and the transmission. Period.

The transmission is designed to offer various gear ratios to increase or decrease speed beyond the engine's power.

The engine is designed to provide propulsion.

How you use each one of these particulars is up to you.

If you find that clutch-less shifting, up or down isn't smooth, use the clutch. If you find it's smoother and faster for you not to use the clutch, don't. If you're smooth, and regardless of technique, the bike isn't lurching, grinding or exhibiting any one or multiples of a multitude of symptoms, everything is dandy...

No one person can tell another: "Don't/ Do clutchless-shift in situations A, B and C, but not in situation D".

I for one can seamlessly shift up or down without the clutch, and even INTO neutral, but not back into gear from a standstill.

I however, do use the clutch, because I find I can shifter FASTER, read SMOOTHER using the clutch. That's how my muscles respond to my brain....

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

I also recommend all riders to figure out how to clutchless shift, starting in the lower RPM's and practice going higher and higher in the revs. It's just one more way to get more comfortable with the bike, and could be a handy skill to know in an emergency.

Trust your instincts. If the bike is making a noise you think it shouldn't, then have it checked out. But if everything is operating smoothly, go for it.

Parts wear out, that's why they make replacement parts. For instance, I've gone through 4 sets of front brake pads, and 1 set of rears. 4 rear tires, and 3 fronts. 1 set of fork seals. 2 chains. It's OK, it's part of the game. It's what I've had to pay for 30K + miles. If you don't like it, don't drive the bike....

ally99, good on you! One day I want to go ride with you and your hubby. You guys sound like fun!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote