View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #51
Flying Pig
Resident Lurker

Name: Solomon

Motorcycle(s): R6, Strom, 250R, CH80 Elite

Smile

Congrats on getting it working again

A couple of things to note, in no particular order.
  • You can leave the battery connected to the motorcycle while charging it with the tender, assuming you can reach the motorcycle with the tender plugged into an outlet. It's easier to plug it in if you screw in the o-ring pigtails on the quick disconnect that should have came with the tender - this way you don't have to remove the side fairings & seat to charge the battery. Less of a hassle means you'll probably do it more often.
  • 10.4v is bone dry. A 12V battery is comprised of 6 2v cells. When the cell is full, it holds 2.15V. When it is empty, it holds 1.9V (not 0V ). The difference between full and empty is a measly 0.25V per cell. So 12.9V would be completely full, while 11.4V is completely discharged. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but having less than that means some cells can be damaged.
  • The battery tender works by bringing the voltage slowly up to something like 14.4V while in charging mode. When it deems that the battery is charged, it reduces the voltage (and amperage, if I'm not mistaken) when the battery is in full and switches over to a float mode. Your multimeter will measure around 13.2V then.
  • With that being said, you will want to test your battery's voltage during a neutral state. An hour off the tender should be fine. Some batteries are good at holding a "surface charge". It doesn't hurt to put a small load on the battery as would eliminate the surface charge to give you a better reading.

Probably more information than you care to know, but maybe someone will find it useful