View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2020, 10:51 AM   #6
Gurr
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gurr

Motorcycle(s): 88 250r, 02 klr650

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Awesome job!!! How long did you soak it?

Another method I wanted to try is electrolysis. Tank on a pre-gen I got was severely rusted. Ended up going with different tank that popped up on Craigslist. Rust-free but needed fairing bolt-hole repair.
I soaked it for 3 or 4 days. With a stronger acid, it could be shorter, but I was in no rush. I had to wait for a battery to show up and charge it. I've always wanted to try electrolysis as well. Someday!

Currently, the bike is out of the truck. I was able to start it up after that tank clean and petcock rebuilt. Unfortunately, it won't stay running. Starts and will stay running with the choke on, but once the choke is off, it just cuts out. Even after warming up. I might try just starting and running for several minutes every day to see if it blasts out whatever's going on, but something more involved may be needed.

Anyone know what the next step would be if that doesn't work? I'm worried it's double carb rebuild time. I tried to do a less involved cleaning by spraying carb cleaner into the fuel line, opening up the bowl drain plugs and blasting with some compressed air. Definitely got some crap out of there and I was just kind of hoping that would work. Any further thoughts? Does this sound like something that could be handled with a tuning or does this sound more like a bad diaphragm in the carb that has to get replaced?

Edit: I did just find this thread with a quick search. It does sound like I have to pull them off. Also, where are some common vacuum leak areas?

Last futzed with by Gurr; May 25th, 2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Did a search on the issue
Gurr is offline   Reply With Quote