View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2018, 07:58 PM   #1
heatdeath
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Thea

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja ex 250

Ninja dying at idle / dying when throttle / trouble starting

Hi everyone, I just bought a 05 ninja 250 with 6300 miles on it. Rode it the first 100 miles fine. It started dying at idle at stop lights, and then would have trouble starting or not start at all. I did a couple of things: brand new battery, carb refurbish/clean by a professional with high tech ultrasound equip with new rubber parts, new spark plugs, oil/oil filter change, adjusted the clutch cable because it had too much slack, fresh 89 octane gas.

After I replaced/fixed these things I am still having issues:

It takes ~7-10 seconds of me holding down the starter button before the engine kicks in and takes over (with choke all the way on), I'm afraid if this continues Ill blow my starter.

When it finally turns over it revs to 5K RPM, seems a little high.

It has a tendency to die as I pull in clutch and roll off throttle to downshift and come to a stop. When I try to get it going again, it will only go with choke all the way on, even though it should be warm enough (after 5 minutes of riding), and then I started having the problem where I get it to start, pull the clutch out while giving it throttle and the RPM tanks and dies. So I try it in neutral, give it throttle and it dies again. This problem will continue until I eventually flood my engine/carbs and give up.

If that doesnt happen, my bike usually idles at 2K, but will slowly drop until it dies, and I have to blip the throttle at idle to make sure it wont die.

Any ideas would be much appreciating, I am at the end of my rope.
heatdeath is offline   Reply With Quote