View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #7
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
Now for what I feel was the cause of this crash...
1) relearning the old roads with too much force. (not enough practice in this location)
2) Set up way too early on the corner.
3) bad line
4) didn't break enough for the corner
5) I panicked and stood it up after the front brake failed to work (front tire started chirping and skipping but didn't cause tank slapper)
6) Should have kept it leaned in, no brakes and rode it out just fine (see cause 5)
7)Irresponsibility and thoughtlessness of others.
Dude glad your reasonably ok . I only watched from the start up to the crash, and watched the crash about 3 times. You can't tell a lot from that camera angle. But I'd forget reasons 1,2,3 and 4 straight away, reason 7 I don't know what your talking about. I'm interested not in reason 5 or 6 but how you got yourself in that situation where you panicked, and I don't think any of your reason have it covered.

Anyway what i notice earlier in the vid is that you changed gear in turn which I'm occasionally guilty of too, but we know its not a great idea, but nothing to do with the crash, although seems like you pulled the clutch for the crash which costs you stability also. (14 seconds, 48 seconds for the upshifts mid turn).

I did notice you chopping the throttle off and decelerating into turns which is lethal, especially at 40 seconds in your negative throttle all the way around that turn, ok its due to the car but you should not have been that close to him in the first place, hes in shot from 34 should have hung back until a straight piece of road. Then you blast past him where you don't really have enough room and enter the next turn again on negative throttle with lots of lean.

When you go in off the gas and overload the front wheel you end up leaning more than necessary to compensate, that's why when you get on the gas the bike appears to turn in more as the balance of throttle puts the weight where the bike expects it to be.

Luckily you get on the gas soon enough but then you do another mid lean gear change. Next turn at 55 seconds again off the gas all they way, and I'd say at that point it was close to going wrong, by this point in the first viewing of the vid I'm starting to predict you running wide into something. For the kink right at 1:12 again off the throttle all the way through it. Then for the crash you chop the throttle on, then off, then on, it like you pull the clutch+brakes then crash.

You got away with it on the faster turns as you could theoretically go round those at 100mph but because they are sandwiched between other turns your going much slower than you could so overloading the front of the bike does not have such a big impact as you are still within 50% of the max the bike can take. On the slower turns the margins are much smaller. So my viewing of why you got to the panic situation (never mind what you did when it all went wrong, why it all went wrong is more important)

1) Poor throttle control - either off or off/on/off in turns causing more lean angle to be necessary to turn the bike, should roll in a single smooth action.
2) Slow turning of the bike - because of reason 1 the bike is start to lean but not much is happening regarding turning and your leaning more and more to compensate. If you get on the gas a little the bit instead of leaning more the bike will turn. But instead your staying off gas, leaning more and more but still going relatively straight. Look at the clip around 45 seconds and watch the bike react when you get on the gas, it turns more than you expected and you end up picking it up and up-shifting.
3) Poor planning - you should be reading the road and hazards ahead and planning for them rather than reacting to them. The incident with the car where you saw him ahead but ran right up his tail then overtook him in a totally inappropriate place causing you to charge to fast into the next bend tells this story. By the way if a car was coming the other way round that bend
4) Yes at the time of the crash you reacted poorly and this is really hard to fix, but if your doing 1,2 and 3 all the time you have no hope in hell of reacting properly when the dung hits the rotating blower thing

I have made all the same mistakes myself many times and got away with it. After 2400 miles and reading a twist of the wrist 2 front to back about 10 times I can see that. In fact I caught my mistake on video and I also show how i correct them (day after getting that book )

Link to original page on YouTube.
You can see first run it really goes bad when i chop the throttle
2nd is a bit better, but I still have not read the book, on this run though the bike turns in when i give it gas, case in point!
The i show some other turns and other mistakes I'm making the same as you, off gas in turns, not great planning ahead or reading of the road.
3rd run, same as 2nd only i've read the first 4 pages of twist 2, now faster and with more gas and less lean and higher speeds You can see at the first part I chopped the throttle for a second and quickly realized if I don't think its going to make it i need to do the opposite and get on the gas and sure enough the throttle turns the bike. I done this turn at double the speed last night instead of hitting 60 at the bottom I was at 85 and had to brake hard to get down to the speed limit of the main road :O

Like I say, glad your OK and hope you get back on a bike when your good and ready. I'm hoping some of what I written here is useful to you and makes sense. I commend you for uploading the vid also, I think a lot of folks would say nothing and fix it quietly. Could just as easily of been me a few months ago, hopefully now I'm working on me it will stay shiny side up.

P.s. I'm enjoying the bike way more since reading this book too, even if you think you'll never crash its worth getting. I don't like the way its written the cover or the formatting, but the info is pure gold.