View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM   #14
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Justin, the perfect caliper/micrometer for the job has to do microns or 1/1000th of a MM. Most of them will only do 1/1000th of an inch. I've seen some micrometers that will do microns, but their jaws only open to about 1 inch which is just shy. (We should probably move the rebuild discussion to PM.)

Regarding the Engine mounts on the pregen, you shouldn't have to support the engine when you remove the front mount bolt. If you do, then your rear bolts are missing/loose.

The head coolant hose on the pregen is just held in with the valve cover too, but it wont leak unless you try to pull it out. If it does, then its time to change the o-ring - which coincidentally is the same one they give you in the Fram oil filter box.

My coils have the spot welds drilled out so I always remove them when doing the valves. You could also remove the mounts themselves, but that's a pain. If you use the kawi valve tool, its pretty easy to get in there with just moving them back a little.

There is no way I could inspect the valves on the pregen in 15 minutes. It would take me that alone just to get the plastics and the tank off.