View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #1
StuntPuppy
ninjette.org member

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r SE, 02 CBR600F4i

Bike won't start- spark issues?

So someone tried to steal my 2010 250 by jamming what looks like a key or a thin screwdriver into the lock and broke it off inside, rendering my lock cylinder and my bike inoperable. He tried to roll it away, but must have gotten tired because I found my bike later that night on the other side of my apartment building.

Bought a new ignition switch, mounted it by way of zip ties, wasn't willing to drill out the bolts for the old one because that would require taking apart my triple, which I can't do because it took me 3 previous tries to get my bike to ride properly. I was in a crash so my forks are bent up, handle bars are turned a little to the right but it rides straight.

So, since I mounted this new ignition switch, my bike won't start. Won't bump start either. Lights all work properly, horn, everything electrical seems to work, it will crank and crank but there seems to be no sign of ignition. I can't imagine why changing the ignition switch would make there be no spark, but that seems to be my current problem.

I'm fairly sure I'm getting fuel, my dad rolled on the throttle a bit trying to start it (a bad idea I know, told him so), but I could smell fuel when he did. Don't see why there wouldn't be air, so that leaves spark. I haven't changed the spark plugs or messed with anything that way. Everything worked just fine before I had to replace the ignition.

Any insight on why it won't start now? Could it be the new ignition switch? It's one of those cheap ones off of eBay from China, not one from Kawasaki, couldn't afford it. Is there a way to bypass the switch entirely and attempt to hotwire just to test it? Where should I start with trying to fix this? I wanted to try and get some insight from you guys before I just started tearing things apart.

Last futzed with by StuntPuppy; April 5th, 2017 at 09:32 PM.
StuntPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote