Old July 18th, 2017, 04:00 AM   #46
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Wow, I guess I touched a nerve.

Calm down, please. I was not being literal. I just don't prefer the sound of single-cylinder engines compared to other configurations, and used slightly colorful language to express myself.

Fair enough?

Of the engine layouts you can actually buy, my favorite has to be the triple. When a Triumph triple is on song, it sounds fabulous.

To be perfectly clear, it's just an aesthetic preference that means nothing when you get right down to it. If I were to go small-bike shopping tomorrow, the RC would be very high on the list. Why? Because I'd be buying a motorcycle, not a musical instrument. The ride matters more than the sound.

But given the choice between a nice throaty twin and a single in otherwise identical bikes, I'd take the twin.

PS: Re your video clips above. Listen to the weed whacker at 3:15-3:25. Then listen to the RC390 at 1:44-1:52. Draw your own conclusions about the character of the sound. (Note: Of COURSE they don't sound identical... "sounds like" and "sounds the same as" are different things.)

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.