Old April 27th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #92
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Actually I'm not really presenting a higher level of riding ability or track specific techniques. Emergency braking is emergency braking.

If the front end starts to skid the normal reaction of most riders is to release the front brake and then reapply. I see it happen all the time when we train our riders to purposely lock the front tire (on our braking rig which has outriggers to prevent crashes). However, if you are trying to avoid hitting something on the street, a car that stopped in front of you or whatever and you grab the front brake and start to skid....if you completely release the front brake and then try to grab them again chances are you aren't going to stop for the obstacle. Your stopping distance is much greater if you release and re-apply the brake then if you could train yourself to release the brake JUST ENOUGH TO STOP THE SKID.

I don't think that it's a higher level of learning, it takes practice to get it correct but I'd rather all new riders learn it this way then to practice releasing the brake and re-applying....

Same goes for the rear tire skid. It's pretty difficult to remain balanced and in control of the bike when the rear tire is skidding around (whether the skid is straight or the back end starts fishtailing) that to me requires a higher level of riding skill then releasing the rear brake slightly so that the wheel unlocks.

In the simplest terms, I have my students get on the brakes (front brake only or both) quickly and squeeze the levers progressively (not stabbing or stomping or pounding on them) until just before lock up to get the most effective stopping distance. If either of the brakes lock then I coach them to release the brakes slightly so that they unlock but that they continue to slow down and stop safely.

Ride safe
Misty, You're an amazing coach, on track and off!

Quote:
Now, there are a few other things that can mess with emergency stops. One of the biggest mistakes is that students get on the brakes lightly first and then stab it at the end of braking and that is when you see things like a big lock up, or the rear end of the bike coming up. I like to tell students to get on the brakes hard initially (but still smoothly) and then progressively pull in the lever.
Interesting. How are abs brakes different? I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I haven't taken time to practice ebraking with my new ABS 300.

Quote:

Squeezing the tank with your knees while braking prevents your body from sliding forward, and it also helps to keep your arms bent and relaxed so you aren't putting extra pressure on the bars.
Yes. This. It has become a good habit of mine. Every single situation on a motorcycle is best with a loose upper body. Even crashing turns out better if you relax into it.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote