Thread: Cafe Racers
View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #37
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
ah, excellent, now we can have a debate about what constitutes a cafe bike....

I think a cafe bike is defined as a factory produced STANDARD motorcycle which has had all the extras yanked or trimmed off, and modified to gain the most amount of power out the engine, the best handling suspension possible, and the best brakes possible. Hence, all go, not necessarily show. The beauty is in it's function. What specifics aid this? Drilling lots of holes to save weight. A gas tank with cut-outs to streamline the frontal profile, and make it possible to turn the bike at slow speed due to the lower hand controls position. Cut-outs also help to hold onto the bike much better. A butt-stop, or small rear fairing is usually a good idea. Lower handlebars or clip-ons, and rear-sets for a more aggressive riding position.... Parallel twins are best, but above all, it must be air cooled.

What say you more experienced folks? I've been searching for a reasonably substantiated answer for a long time...

Edit: For instance, I consider most of these to be cafe bikes, I know they don't all fulfill the requirements I've stated above...

http://www.kizoa.com/slideshow/d1222...o1/cafe-racers

If anybody wants, I can paste them all into the thread, but I'd take up an entire page...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote