Old April 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #44
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiujinZero View Post
*Most* gasoline engines...

I wouldn't consider the inline 6 in the supra representative of *MOST* gasoline engines. That engine has a legendary status amongst tuners.
There are vipers, 3000gt's, stealths, skylines that also make double the HP on stock internals.

But enough of the OT. I think people are really thinking about this the wrong way. This discussion is really a theoretical debate, so let's continue on with that. From my point of view, a supercharger would be far more beneficial on our carb 250's than a turbo. The power is much more linear and you could definitely tune the carbs to add fuel as the RPM's increased. Since boost starts immediately, you won't need to worry about the instant rush of power like a turbo so the bike would likely be more predictable. Boost is boost, regardless of the source. Another benefit would be that you wouldn't need extra exhaust work like you would for a turbo. Even a blow off valve could be seen as extraneous. The two major hurdles would be to find some way to attach a pulley to the crank and make sure the ignition component is capable of supporting the extra power. Forgot to add that you may need a better fuel pump. If you could run a s/c with an extra 8lbs of boost and keep the engine reliable, that would be awesome.