View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #64
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Name: Hans

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Random thoughts:
  • If we fiddle around with the intake cams, we can reduce with compression of the engine for free: e.g. if we close the fuel intake when the piston is halfway down, we sorta have a 125cc engine with a compression rate of 5.8:1; at 200cc we'd get 9.3:1, so although we're reducing the engine size, this will let us use insane boost rates without detonation. I wonder whether an insurance company would allow the smaller engine argument, as the power-strokes remain at 250cc.
  • 25 years ago I helped design an auto-fire with adaptable fire-rate circuit for a joystick hooked up to my C64, it was messy, ugly, and had drips of solder all over the place. It worked like a charm, though.
  • Fuel injector: ~$30, lambda-probe (unheated, Honda Civic): ~$12, electronic components for analog circuit: ~$20. A functional FI-system could be less than $100.
  • I'd still want a digital system. Analog to Digital is like Carbs to EFI. Deja Vu all over again!
  • A 7" Android tablet PC with a USB-port is $150. A USB device with a couple of A/D converters (and other stuff that people us to control their fridge-light) must be available for cheap, and we can control everything electrical on our bike, including FI and ignition timing, with almost infinitely configurable software.
  • Slapping a turbo on a motorcycle is crazy. The advantage is that crazy people can do crazy stuff like set idle to 8000 rpm and tune the crabs for the range 8000-14000. In this range boost will be much less non-linear.

Last futzed with by Lowspeed Lowside; April 29th, 2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: fixed bad grammar (I think)
Lowspeed Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote