View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #67
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Name: Hans

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
You should use forged pistons for a turbo.Stock pistons are cast.
I have a friend who claims, that he owns Henry Ford's original hammer - he's only replaced the head and handle a couple of times. We can avoid various philosophical conundrums by keeping as many stock parts as possible.

One can replace the stock cylinder block with a beryllium one. I know why you're (likely) not going to have one made. For the same reason we're (likely) not going to use forged pistons.

Although I did say we'd have the necessary tools and skills, the ability to forge pistons (obvious for me) wasn't implied. In the future please assume that I meant frequent encountered tools for hobbyists, maybe I was unclear about this. Even oxyacetylene equipment is pushing it, so the less we need to weld, the better.

Quote:
Retadring the cam that much will not work . It may reduce compression but it will reduce power also.
How do you know, that adjusting the cams to limit the amount of fuel/air we let into the engine will reduce net power? With 24psi boost a 200cc engine will generate upward of 50kw according to our calculator, which is much more than running a 250cc engine with 8psi boost. Just claiming that it will reduce in a loss of power is non helpful unless you can prove it. In this case you could argue that 24psi is the maximum we can expect from the RHF3, and since we're going to lose some pressure in the intercoolers, I'm being too optimistic.

Quote:
As for functioning anything for 100 dollars?I don't think so.How about 1500 dollars for an in intercooler?
Also, as stated in the first post, our maximum budget is $1000, so we can immediately eliminate any solution that requires a $1500 intercooler! Think hobbyist! I assume you're not just bragging about a $1500 intercooler, because things can get extremely embarrassing when someone achieves better results, using a $5 radiator he found at Walmart and a piece of chewing gum.

Quote:
I am not a computer guy I am an engine guy . So I will stick with a proven electronic fuel injection system. Things have to work properly or it will waist time and money.
Time spent thinking is never wasted.

Quote:
Why idle at 8000 rpm? Forget the carbs .sell them on Ebay to buy pistons
Because nobody I know of idles their engine at 8000rpm*, and since we're trying to do something that nobody else is doing, we have consider doing things that nobody else is doing! Duh! It's plain logical. It's not insane. It's not a manic episode of a bipolar disorder.

Insanity is doing the same thing that everybody else is doing and expecting different results.

Also, just because we're on a budget, doesn't in anyway imply, that the solution will be inferior. For example, one can spend $3000+ on a Garrett GT60 turbocharger and hook it up to the EX250 exhaust system, in which case the maximum gain in power will be approximately 0kw.

*if you're into racing you'll have to keep the engine above 8000rpm anyway. I figure everybody else would have to learn a new set of skills involving clutch, kill-switch and starter.

Last futzed with by Lowspeed Lowside; April 30th, 2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: added footnote
Lowspeed Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote