Thread: First accident
View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #7
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm struggling to picture exactly what happened, but I get the gist of it: the driver pulled off a really strange & illegal manoeuvre that you did not expect.

My approach to dealing with situations like you encountered is this:
  • Always base your assumptions about what can happen, based on what is physically possible. Don't base your assumptions around what normally happens or around what is legal. Physics is the supreme court in the land of roads! So if it can happen, make sure you know what to do if it does happen.
  • When the only choices are to choose a potentially dangerous option or a definitely dangerous option, choose the potentially dangerous option. In your situation: you stay still and you definitely get hit. If you move into another lane without doing the usual mirror and shoulder checks there is a potential for getting hit, but it's only a chance. I'll take that chance. I've only been in this situation once: I almost hit a van. I swerved into an adjacent lane without properly checking if it was clear. I got lucky as the lane was clear. It was really heavy traffic, so there was a high chance of the lane being occupied. The chance was still lower than if I had stayed on course though; staying on course gave me a 100% chance of hitting a solid object.
  • When you're in a situation like you found yourself in, you have just moments to react. With that in mind I adopt the following survival policy:
    • focus only on a single strategy. Doing multiple things splits your focus and reduces the chance of any one approach working. For example: I don't attempt to avoid the crash and get the drivers attention so that they stop. I do just one.
    • prefer the strategy where you are in control. If a driver is doing something dangerous or illegal they have already proven themselves to be incompetent. If you do try to make yourself seen or heard (flashing-lights / rev-bomb / shouting / horn), there's a good chance they still wont notice or they will react badly.
    • you should always be doing this anyway on a bike, but in a situation like this it becomes even more important: focus entirely on what you want. If you focus on the car, you want to hit the car. If you focus on shouting or blazing the horn you want to be heard and for the driver to avoid you. If you focus on a street lamp off to the right and you're currently rolling, then you want to hit that street lamp. If you focus on a clear stretch of road which doesn't intersect with the path of the car, then you want to ride that path (and you will avoid getting hit). So: Focus on where to escape, not what you don't want to hit. "target fixation" is a term thrown around in relation to this.
  • play around with your bike in safe environments to learn what it can do. Get really comfortable with braking and turning hard so you can instinctively trust it and push the bike hard in a bad situation.
  • in the event that you are going to get hit no matter what then there are still preferable ways of getting hit: sliding on the road or bouncing off something travelling in the same direction as you is better than hitting a stationary object which is better than hitting an object coming towards you head on.

^ take what you want from all of that. It's just my approach.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.