View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:25 AM   #13
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spent_too_much View Post
Oil / filter / screen cleaned and changed. Carbs, fuel tank, and battery swapped. Ignition - on. "dashboard" lights on. Nothing else :( . No headlight, turn signals, starter - nada. I checked the fuses - all good. I jumped the kickstand safety switch. I used a volt meter on the battery 12.6 ish volts. I visually inspected the wiring harness, wherever visible for being chewed through ( there was a nest in the tail ).

It is in neutral, and I will try to jump the clutch safety switch next time. But, why no horn, headlights, or turn signals?
I know you got past this, but for future reference, the headlight is run through a relay activated by one of the stator wires. It won't come on until the engine starts turning.

Also, the sidestand switch has nothing to do with starting the bike, only running once it's been started. The starter circuit relay is wired directly to the clutch switch, which passes through to the neutral switch. If you unplug the clutch switch, the starter button will be completely dead, regardless of neutral or sidestand status. The igniter can ground via any of the three safety switches, so the sidstand switch only comes into play once the bike is in gear with the clutch released.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote