View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2019, 10:43 PM   #1
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 1989 model and 1990 model

Painting exhausts

I painted the exhausts on my GPX250 with VHT exhaust paint as per the instructions and was extremely disappointed with the results. The paint on the header portion failed to adhere in places, mostly on the outside of bends where the hot gasses are concentrated, and peeled off very quickly. The paint on the mufflers marked easily and chipped off without much encouragement.

At the suggestion of a friend I scraped off all the loose and damaged VHT exhaust coating and applied a chain store paint designed to be used on pot belly stoves. It looks much better as it is a semi gloss rather than a flat finish and it resists marking from my boots much better. It has not as yet burnt off the headers or chipped as did the expensive VHT coating.

The stove paint does not have the heat rating of the VHT coating but then my pot belly stove has been known to glow red hot at times and the paint doesn’t peel off it. The stove paint is cheap as chips and because it is brush on it doesn’t require masking or removal of the system. I thinned it down with turpentine as per the instructions on the tin and it went on nice and smooth in three coats. Time will tell if it lasts long term but has surpassed the expensive VHT paint already! Anyway just a suggestion