adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja11 View Post
I know you guys said shifting down multiple gears is okay, but how about shifting up? I think it would be okay as well, but the scenario I am visualizing is: when I forget or lose track what gear I am in (lets say I am in 4th and I am slowing for a turn and want to be in 3rd), I will down shift to 1st, to find out where I am, then shift up to be in 3rd, is that okay? shifting multiple gears going down, then going up?

Thanks again
I would never do this. Mr. Murphy WILL get you one of these days. You'll get down to 1st and either have a brain fart, releasing the clutch lever out of sheer habit, or something will happen and you'll accidentally let go of it.

Now you're entering a 3rd gear turn and your bike suddenly lurches into 1st.

That would be a Bad Thing.

It's tempting to think "I would never do something so stupid" but consider this: Since you drive manual transmission cars, have you ever found yourself going for the clutch when you borrow or rent an auto trans car?

The bigger brake pedal is often right where the clutch ought to be. I've hit it (LURCH!!!), and it's a fair bet that most honest manual trans drivers will admit to doing the same at some point.

The fact that you can envision forgetting which gear you're in suggests you also realize that it's possible to make really simple mistakes.

BTW... I agree with the earlier posters about the wisdom of using engine braking and downshifting through the gears as you slow. It does a couple of things for you:

- It keeps you near the right gear in case you need to make an emergency maneuver that requires power.
- It's way more fun.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote